With the holidays fast approaching, it’s easy to fall victim to stress, especially when you are contemplating taking a strike or COVID-19 assignment. We wanted to share a few tips that can help you destress during this holiday season.
1. Imperfection can be perfect. Every holiday season many people feel the pressure to make things perfect. Remember though, it’s okay to accept imperfection. It might even be the perfect way to keep a handle on all the stress that builds up.
2. Plan ahead. If you have a set list of chores to do (shopping, baking, wrapping presents), schedule time to get them done. Just don’t try to overschedule, and you’ll find yourself cruising along in your to-do lists.
3. Stick to your budget. Holidays are especially challenging when it comes to managing your budget. It’s so easy to overspend. However, setting and sticking to your budget will help you keep that stress under control when bills start rolling in.
4. Keep your healthy habits . The holidays can feel like the perfect time of year to throw healthy food to the wind and enjoy the gluttony. However, continuing to eat healthy and exercise will help you manage stress that comes knocking on your door.
5. Change the story you tell yourself. When dealing with difficult people, rather than focusing on how much like the Grinch they are, reframe the story. Perhaps they have lost a loved one and are suffering. Maybe they are stressed to the breaking point and you just happened to be in the way. It could be they just need someone to be understanding. When you look at a challenging person differently, it can make it easier to handle the situation and manage your own stress and anxiety.